Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Router CPU Utilization

I am using Netview (Tivoli) to manage a WAN. I would like to, in the less intrusive way as possible, monitor the cpu utilization and send a trap when the cpu is high. I've looked through the cisco mibs and they dont provide a trap for high utilization,

2 REPLIES

Re: Router CPU Utilization

Hello,

I use HP NNM to collect this data from the following. For the exact CPU utilization this second, use .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.56. For utilization over a 5 minute average collect on .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.58. You can then create a threshold event in Netview to fire when the CPU utilization is over a certain amount for a certain amount of collections. My recommendation is to check this maybe every 5 minutes. If the 5 minute average is high, then fire an alarm. Of course you should probably collect data for a baseline period and determine really what is "normal" operations first , else the alarm may continue to fire and become an operators nightmare! You might also want to see if an RMON alarm supports the definition of these MIB entries on your particular router models. But this may be CPU intensive in itself.

Good Luck

Re: Router CPU Utilization

I think it's less CPU intensive to add a RMON trap to the router than polling it.

Take a look at this URL to get some alternativ to MIB polling.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/RMON/18.html

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content