cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router for DSL/Cable Connection

tvanacker
Level 1
Level 1

A local company wants me to set up a router for their office. They currently have a DSL connection. What would be a good router purchase for this setup. There are only 4 machines setup right now (will expand in future).

5 Replies 5

Hello,

I would go with a 1700 router, possibly the 1760, it is modular and sufficient for medium-sized offices (has a FastEthernet port). Check this link for more info on that model:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps221/ps227/index.html

Regards,

Georg

I agree in full with this solution, the only thing I will add is a second Ethernet interface.

hankoh
Level 1
Level 1

why do they need a router?

baileja
Level 1
Level 1

I would hardly call 4 machines a medium sized business. Even with a 500 percent increase in size would put you at 20. The 1700 series are modular, scalable and very suitable routers. But I would have to suggest the 827H ADSL router. It is the recommended solution for up to 20 users. The cost of the 1700 is twice that of the 827. If you plan on haveing more than twenty users within the next two years, I might justify going with the 1700. I am basing this decision off of the 4 computers to expand as in double or maybe triple. The 827 has a built in IOS firewall and full feature IOS.

I agree a 1700 might be overkill. I'd suggest you go with an 831 for the following reasons.

(1) Less costly yet same level of security

(2) The WAN port is 10BaseT RJ45 ... not blazing but adequate and allows you to connect to the Internet using the ISP-provided modem (DSL or cable). In addition to the ISP connection flexibility, the ISPs are more willing to help with problems if they've provided the modem.

(2) You'll get 4 10/100 ports in it so you might not need to procure a switch (at least initially) in addition to the router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: