Views
Helpful
Replies

Router for PPOE

fairmont
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Does anyone know of any hardware that can be used to emulate a PPPOE client stack such as WinPoet. I have a Verizon DSL SOHO user who has a Westel modem and WinPoet dial client (RASPPOE works instead of WinPoet too - so their PPPOE protocol seems to be standard).

I would like to setup a router between the Westell and the user's PC. I would like the device to be able to initiate a connection to the broadband circuit so that the user will have an 'always on' feel. In addition when the device will also act a a hardware client for our Cisco IPSEC VPN. This is the main reason I would like to interpose it between the client and the circuit.

Thanks,

Gene

Thanks,

Gene

7 Replies 7

Thanks!

jduffek
Level 1
Level 1

Check here for a list of supported platforms:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122newft/122t/122t2/ftpppoec.htm#xtocid98247

You may also want to call cisco presales @ 800-553-NETS or your local reseller.

Josh

How does the PPP logon information get passed if I use of of these routers?

Thanks.

Just like any other ppp type connection. After the physical layer comes up and the routers realize that they are running ppp encap, they will start sending lcp config requests. If during LCP they negotiate an authentication protocol and both agree on which to use they will, after lcp finishes, do authentication. If you need to configure it do this:

config t

int dialerX

ppp authentication pap chap callin !might as well do both and only let them authenticate us

ppp chap hostname (yourusername)

ppp chap password (yourpassword)

ppp pap sent-username (yourusername) password (yourpassword)

end

Watch "debug ppp nego" to see how it works.

Josh

Josh thanks for that. Now I understand what the dialer interface does!

Hi,

I checked the supported platforms and did not find my router - uBR900 - will this support PPPoE, or do you have a work around. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Albert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: