Views
Helpful
Replies

router gets stuck while booting

omal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a problem in booting a particular 2500 series router. This is in a lab therefore I don't know of any IP addresses if configured. The problem is I can connect via console port and see it is booting up. But I can't even Ctrl + Break and break the boot process and go to ROMMON mode. Even if I press those keys, it keeps booting. Then it finishes booting and says 'Press Return to get started' or something, but no point in pressing any keys because nothing is working. After that message it says some interfaces are up and some are down. And stop giving me messages.

Now after that point if I want to restart, all I have to do is, turning it off and turning it back on. Not a single command that I type is getting typed on the screen. Not even 'sh run' or 'reload' or anything. Basically when I type a command, it is like as if I have not plugged the key board to the pc and trying to type something.

If the problem is in IOS image how can I upload a fresh IOS without an IP connection to it (the router).

Someone please let me know what to do for this. I suspect either the IOS is damaged or registry entry which should be 0x2102 normally, has been changed and therefore it doesn't boot properly. But still my doubt is how come that I can't give a single command even from the console port.

Thank you!

Omal.

20 Replies 20

Hi Joe

Thanks a lot for that. Someone else also told me the same thing, but I was a little reluctant to do that because I was wondering how to identify which one is flash once I remove the chasy of the router. Well, I am quite sure this will work if I can do that.

Is there a possibility for you to tell me how to identify flash once you remove it? Does it look like RAM in a IMB pc or something?

Thanks again!

Omal

Hi Joe

Thanks a lot for that. Someone else also told me the same thing, but I was a little reluctant to do that because I was wondering how to identify which one is flash once I remove the chasy of the router. Well, I am quite sure this will work if I can do that.

Is there a possibility for you to tell me how to identify flash once you remove it? Does it look like RAM in a IMB pc or something?

Thanks again!

Omal

p.s. could you also please tell me what do you mean by "dhut doen the box" in your suggesion?

Hi Omal,

"dhut doen the box" = shut down the box - sorry for the typo.

Inside the 2500 you will find three slots, two for flash, and one for DRAM, 2 - 8MB flash cards, and on 16 MB DRAM max.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_tech_note09186a00800941aa.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/iad/ps492/prod_maintenance_guide09186a008007e128.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007e277.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_maintenance_guide_chapter09186a008014b478.html

These will help.

Just remmeber that the flahs banks a relabeld, something like slot 0 and slot 1. Just remember that when you replace the flash, that you put the flash cards back int he right slot.

Regards,

Joe

Hi All

Good news. Problem partially solved.

I thank all of you who helped me to solve this matter.

You won't believe what happened. We have training sessions in someother place, outside our training intitute, therefore we take these routers there.

The console cable that I have does not work when we take it to that place. But it works in our intitute. Therefore I always borrow a cable from them (the place that we take these stuff to). Today just to give it a try I tried something said by one person in the above of this discussion. That was; I plugged the console cable (the one that I borrow from those people) to the AUX port. Guess what. It worked. Thank God for that. Then I connect the same cable back to console port, but it didn't work. T

hen again I plugged it back to AUX port and did the necessary configuration. Now in that particular place I know that I can alway borrow their console cable and login. But I am still wondering can it be a hardware failure in the console port?

I entered the following command in Line console 0 mode also

Router(config-line)#exec

because one person above mentioned that if you go and give the command 'no exec' in line con 0 mode, this kind of problem can occur. But still the console port didn't work. I put an IP address to e0, and now I can even telnet, but still something has to be done to console port.

However, Thank you so very much for all of you who took their precious time to reply to me.

All The Best To All of You!!!!!

Omal.

Hi Joe

I especially thank you for taking time even to find these links. Thank you so much. They are very useful for me. As I mentioned above, my main problem is solved now. Now I just have to see what has happened to the console port.

Best regards & All the best for your future!!!!!

Omal.

Hi Omal,

Maybe you could post a couple of things from that router:

1 - copy of the sh vers

2 - copu of the config starting with line con 0

regards,

Joe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: