Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Interface (7304 NSE100) QoS Input Scheduling

kfarrington
Level 3
Level 3

Guys,

I had great feedback on the Switch input scheduling question last week. Many thx to all online (and my colleagues at work) :)

If you can apply input scheduling on a switch port, ie the SP or default queues, can you apply input scheduling on a router interface?

switch

input-q----------PFC----------output-q

router

input-int---------cef-or-rp----------output-int

At the moment, most QoS for a router is done (in my expreience) on outbound scheduling, ie setting a CBWFQ bandwidth or priority and setting this policy-map outbound on the router egress interface

Should we be doing it inbound for traffic coming into a router interface before the packet gets cef switched (or sent to the RP for process or fast switching)?

So if two packets come into the router interface at the same time, based on a DSCP value, we should schedule a voice packet to be processed by CEF switching (or the RP) before an email packet?

I am just applying the switch methodology that I learned about last week to a router device. I know all routers have different archetectures, so will probably be spefific to a platform. I am using NSE100s (PXF based) on a 7304 platform.

Kindest regards,

Ken

10 Replies 10

attrgautam
Level 5
Level 5

It is possible to do QoS on the ingress interface but i think it is possible only on GSR (12K series) which has a distributed architecture. But i dont think it is possible on a 7304 router.

Many thx for that

It would be great to see if there are any tech notes on th 12k series and then try and relate that to the 7304 archetecture.

Kindest regards,

Ken

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/toc_18841.html

This is for the GSR Router. Hope this helps.

When we try to apply configured service-output policy on FastEthernet or POS interface on the GSR 12008 router, we get "shaping is not supported on this platorm".

Can we apply MCQ on GSR? How can we do traffic shaping on GSR?

Thanks in advance,

Dardan

Can you tell me which Layer 3 Engine POS are you using ? I tried on a Engine 3 POS and it works fine. If you are using engine 2 POS , it may not work. MQC is supported differently on different line cards. Engine 0 for eg does not support Prioirty With Bandwidth etc.

HTH

We use 8FE-TX-RJ45 (which is Engine 1) and LC-4OC3/POS-SM (which is Engine 0, based on http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps167/prod_maintenance_guide09186a00800affae.html#wp998763).

Any hope for us?

Dardan

I think Engine 0 is worst Line card i have met for MQC so i think it will not work. But can you post your config maybe we can find out something ? or can you apply it on any Engine 2 LC you have and see if it accepts (dont do it on production network now)

We do a simple:

class-map match-all client_xyz_up

match access-group 2073

policy-map up

class client_xyz_up

shape average 260000

interface fastethernet 2/0

service-policy output up

access-list 2073 permit ip host 192.168.27.70 any

Any ideas to do the shaping differently are appreciated.

We have LC-4OC3/POS, which is Engine 0 line card. How about Engine 1 and MQC? 8FE-FX-RJ45 is and Engine 1 card, but still we get the message that shaping is not supported.

Sorry iam not aware of Engine 1 LCs but yes Engine 0 Line cards dont support shaping/policing. and legacy cos doesnt allow you to shape jus allows you to determine the length of the queues.

Just to add i picked this from some site

GSR:

Engine 0: (Quad STM-1 POS/ATM, single STM-4 POS/ATM and others)

Engine 1: (single GEth, 8 FEth, DPT 2XSTM-4)

Engine 0 and 1 support CAR in sw; MDRR: in Engine 0 in sw

Engine 2: STM-16, Enhanced Quad OC-12/STM-4 Packet-over-SONET/SDH - 4 ports, MPLS-capable -, 8 and 16 STM-1, 3 GEth, Enhanced OC-48/STM-16 Packet-over-SONET/SDH.

no support of CAR, PIRC in hw instead; WRED in hw; MDRR in hw

(See also Quad OC-12/STM-4; Rel. Notes 12.0 S )

Engine 4: speed greater than 2.5 Gbps,

CAR, WRED, MDRR in hw

Note: no class-based shaping on GSR

But it supports DTS

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a00800811e5.html

Tuf luck but hope this helps