Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Router Memory

Does anyone know if you can use standard PC DIMMs in a 3640 router? I'm sure it's not supported by Cisco, but has anyone ever done it? The router recognizes the new memory, I just don’t know if there would be any long-term issues?

5 REPLIES

Re: Router Memory

i'm using my cisco 3620's with standard PC memory. this works fine

for a few months.

cisco, sorry for that ;-))

i highly recommend to use only cisco-memory in a production environment. it simplifies troubleshooting and prevents a lot of trouble with cisco-technicans.

regards

sascha

Just to confirm, are you saying it worked fine for a few months and then stopped working? Or, you have been using PC DIMMs for a few months and have had no issues?

sorry for the misunderstanding......

it works fine since a few months and it is still "up and running".

i have had no problems at all. i built in the pc memory in

test equipment only. i recommend to do so, too.

regards

sascha

Cisco Employee

One thing I would like to add here. You can buy memory for the routers from 3rd party vendors. Cisco will only support that configuration if you are using Cisco approved memory.

If you do otherwise, it is true the router may work properly but keep in mind that if any problems are occuring with the hardware or strange behaviors are observed, our answer will be: not supported, put approved memory

I've seen many references to an Approved Vendor List (AVL) in the CCO documentation, but I can't find the list itself.

Since CISCO memory modules cost about 700% to 1000% more than any equivalent memory modules I've seen, I'd really like to see the AVL.

I can't take advantage of all the features and options I'd like to use, because I can't get the expenditures approved for the Cisco memory modules I'd need.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content