Views
Helpful
Replies

Router on a Stick configuration question

rfippinger
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I am trying to configure a "router on a stick."

My hardware is a 2620 router attached to a 2924 switch.

When attempting to put an ip address on the fa 0/0.1 subinterface, I receive the following message:

Configuring IP routing on a LAN subinterface is only allowed if that

subinterface is already configured as part of an IEEE 802.10, IEEE 802.1Q, or ISL vLAN.

I've looked through the fast ethernet interface and sub-interface command, but I cannot find an encapsulation command or something that would satisfy the above.

My IOS version is: 12.1(2)

What am I missing here? It seems that this should be pretty straight forward.

Thank you for your comments.

~Robert

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Probably you are having not having the appropriate IOS feature set. You need a min. of IP Plus feature set to support dot1q or isl vlan support. For an IP Plus feature set from 12.1(2) you will need, a min of 40 mb dram and 8 mb flash.

HTH

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

HTH: Hello. Looks like that could be it. I've got the 8mb flash, but only 26mb or dram.

Thanks

If you are looking for dot1q trunking, try IP plus image in 12.0 T train

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/50.shtml#Table2

vincent-n
Level 3
Level 3

Have you tried FIRST issuing the command "encapsulation " to the sub-interface F0/0.1 BEFORE applying the IP address? I've ran into the same problem as you did. Also, issuing the command "encapsulation ..." will tell you straight away whether your IOS supports trunking or not.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: