cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router on a Stick with Cisco/Linksys SRW2024 Switch

cashfordan
Level 1
Level 1

Does anybody have experience with configuring a router on a stick type configuration with a non-Catalyst switch? I have a SRW2024 switch and a 2611 router. I would like to configure the switch with a trunk port and use dot1q encapsulation on subinterfaces on the router to route between the subnets. Configuring the router is simple, but the switch is very confusing and I just can't seem to get it to work. Any ideas? Is this even doable with this combonation of hardware?

Thanks in advance.

-Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Friend,

No by default switch should not tag any vlan. Only if we configure trunk it should tag.

Can you do a little bit change in your router config to see if it is working

interface Ethernet 0/0.1

encapsulation dot1q 1 native

ip address 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0

interface Ethernet 0/0.2

encapsulation dot1q 2

ip address 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0

Regards,

Ankur

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Dan,

It will work as the Linksys switch SRW2024 supports dot1q trunking.

You can configure it via web or via console connection.

Try to access the switch via web and then you will see a TAB as "Switch Conf". Open that TAB and at the very bottom you will see an option to select the port and then the PORt VLAN mode.

Once you have slected the port which is connected to the router go to the second drop dopwn which is port vlan mode and there select trunk mode.

If still you are not able to configure it check this link

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1115416901465&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Once you open this link dopwload USER Guide which is in PDF format and from there serach for trunk and you will see how it looks like and other stuff.

HTH

Ankur

I have done all this already. I am running the newest firmware for the switch and they changed the menus a little. Anyway, I have set a port on the switch to "Port VLAN Mode: Trunk." Now, I know that dot1q does not tag vlan 1, but it tags all the other vlans. By default the switch has each port set to a vlan as not tagged. I assume that they should be set to tagged, correct? I have tried it with tagging turned on and off and either way it does not work.

on the router interface connected to the trunking port on the switch I have the following config:

interface Ethernet 0/0

interface Ethernet 0/0.2

encapsulation dot1q 2

The first vlan works in this configuration. But the second one does not. I have tried making the first vlan on a subinterface with no IP on the physical interface and then the first subnet stops working too.

Could the fact that the router's Ethernet ports are 10Mbit have anything to do with it?

Hi Friend,

No by default switch should not tag any vlan. Only if we configure trunk it should tag.

Can you do a little bit change in your router config to see if it is working

interface Ethernet 0/0.1

encapsulation dot1q 1 native

interface Ethernet 0/0.2

encapsulation dot1q 2

Regards,

Ankur

The "Encapsulation dot1q 1 native" command is not a valid command on my router. Specifically, the native command is not an option. Perhaps that isn't in my IOS version?

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-JS56I-M), Version 12.0(7)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

IOS image: c2600-js56i-mz.120-7.T

However I did a whole lot of messing around with it today and I think I finally got it. The trouble is, IMHO, the switch menus are too messy and hard to understand. It seems to allow me to do impossible things which adds to the confusion.

Here's what worked for me:

My router config was correct to begin with.

Router-A (Cisco 2611):

interface Ethernet0/0

interface Ethernet0/0.2

encapsulation dot1Q 2

Switch (Linksys SRW20204):

Menu: Switch > VLAN Interface Settings

Select the port number of the port to be the trunk.

Set Port VLAN Mode to Trunk. Submit.

Menu: Switch > VLAN

Create a second VLAN with the ID of 2.

Add the ports to be "Included" on this VLAN.

Leave the workstation ports "Untagged".

(This is where I was screwing up)...

"Include" the Trunk port AND select "Tagged".

So basically, I was tagging the workstation ports and not the trunk port. But the correct way is the Trunk port must be Included on all VLANs and have Tagging turned on for all VLANs. All the workstation ports should be included on whatever VLAN they should be on but NOT Tagged. It makes sense now because a workstation would have no idea what to do with a tagged frame.

Why I can enable tagging on non-trunk ports is a mystery. They really should explain that better in the manual. Perhaps add some examples. I find the manual for this switch to be extremely vague overall.

Thakns for the help guys!

-Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco