Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Router or Firewall

When an ISP issues a low grade box it is a router and a firewall. I am looking to take a box like this and put in a 3550. My question is can a 3550 do PPPOE, port forwarding, and Natting. Or would I have to put a PIX in line to do all of this?

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
5 REPLIES

Re: Router or Firewall

No 3550 doesn't do natting & all those stuff, since it is LAN switch device it doesn't have those features only a router can do all those stuffs pix also does.

I thought the 3550 is a high speed router or a switch

3550 is a layer 3 switch, it doesn't do what a full fledge router does. rate this post

Bronze

If you put an enhanced image on the 3550, you can turn it into a router. You can utilize SVIs or you can turn ports into layer 3 ports. I use a 3550 for some of my BGP testing in the lab. Hope this helps.

Blue

use the link below to view the NAT / Catalyst Support Matrix.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a008011c629.shtml

3550 shows no support for NAT(may be added in newer releases so keep an eye out)

Views
Helpful
Replies