Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router processing

the processing of my perimeter router which is connected to internet, suddenly increases and as I am using voip so this factor effects the voice quality. can u people guide me how to control the processing of the router, even i have denied all the icmp traffic on all the intefaces.

5 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: router processing

in this way i can priortise my vioce traffic, but how can i control the processing of router, which suddenly increases to 80 or 90%.

The increase in processing on the router, neednt, be always due to the processes running on the router, It could be that your network is hit by a virus or some programs which keep sending icmp traffic. I have seen situations where the CPU utilisation was at 100 percent, and the reason was a program called Toshiba pinger, which was continuously pinging DNS servers, from a laptop.

Bronze

What kind of router is it? Are there any errors/drops on any of the interfaces on the router? What process is taking up most of the CPU power? Are you getting a lot of matches on your ACL that is blocking icmp/second? Do you have CEF enabled? When does the router increase to 80 or 90%? Is it always at 80 or 90%? Is it only a high % during high traffic times?

Here's a good URL for troubleshooting high CPU issues:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_tech_note09186a00800a70f2.shtml

Gold

Could you post a show proc cpu, just the first few lines, and the lines of any processes that are over about 10% utilization?

Russ.W

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content