Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Router Question

This is what I am trying to do.

I have an existing Network that is running just fine, and I am upgrading a computer based Machine Control system. I want to isolate the Machine control system from the rest of the network i.e. to get rib of Broadcasts and other traffic just needs to be on the Control side. So I installed the server that goes with the control system, I also installed dual nic’s with different IP ranges. Plus I am using 2000 Server as a router (A first for me). I added the following line to my local router(Cisco 1600): (ip route 192.168.114.0 (new net) 255.255.255.0 192.168.32.156 (Nic in 2000 server/router)). With this my local 192.168.32.X network can ping the 192.168.114.X network but my corporate network (192.168.10.X) can’t ping it .

I tried adding the following to the corporate router. ip route 192.168.114.0 (New network) 255.255.255.0 192.168.32.156 (Nic in 2000 Server /router), but from the 192.168.10.X network I can’t ping the 192.168.114.X network.

Any idea as to what I am missing.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
4 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Router Question

Couple of possibilities. First, what is the default gateway of the server/router? The pings from corp may be getting to the server but it cant find its way back. It sounds like the default should point to the 1600's 192.168.32.x address.

Second, are you redistributing the static route from the 1600 so the corporate router can find it. You could do this and get rid of the second static route in the corp router.

I had the default gateway of the server/router set to the set to the 1600 and I have just changed it to itself. Neither would ping from corp.

Not sure what you meant on you second comment.

Thanks.

Silver

do a route print on your 2000 box look for discrepencies

Bronze

can the corp router ping the 192.168.32.156 address in the server/router? if it can then can it ping the other NIC? (I'm not sure if you tried that or devices farther into the new network.) Think about how each hop needs to be able to find the destination network.

When a ping goes from a host behind the corp rtr that host needs a default route that point to the corp rtr. Then the corp rtr needs a route that points to the 1600 to reach the destination.(assuming there are no other routers invloved.) And the 1600 needs a route pointing to the Server/rtr to reach the destination.

For the response to come back the reverse routes are needed. The host on the new network needs a default pointing to the new (server/rtr). The server/rtr needs a route pointing to the other hosts network ( or a default route) pointing to the 1600. The 1600 needs a route for the first hosts network so it will pass the response back to the corp rtr.

Test connectivity boths directions from each hop and see where it fails.

Views
Helpful
Replies