cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router serial number for 3640 router

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

What command can I use to get the serial number on a remote router? It is a 3640.

Thanks,

Mike

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

There is a command show inventory which appears to give the serial number of the router. My experience is that on some platforms (like 1841) it gives the correct value when visually compared to the number printed on the chassis but that some platforms (7200) give a value which is not correct. I do not have experience of show inventory and the 3640. Perhaps someone who does have experience with that platform can share their experience. Or if you have a 3640 that is local you can do the command and verify the results to know whether to expect the correct value on the remote router.

There are some people who believe that the serial number is shown in the output of show version. It may be so for some platforms. But I would try the show inventory first.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

On this platform there is no show inventory. I also did show version and a show tech-support with no luck.

Mike

w.kuhn
Level 1
Level 1

It would be Processor Board ID if you do 'sh ver'. Ciscoview displays it as 'Chassis ID' in Ciscoworks and in RME it displays as 'User Defined Serial Number'

Hi,

There is no CLI command to view the serial number of a 3640 router. It does not support the sh inventory command and all other commands show only the processor ID.

Unfortunately you need to manually see the Serial No printed on the back of this router.

HTH

Narayan

Below is for 3660 (which I have).. can't see it being different to the 3640.

As described in previous post, the 'sh ver' displays the 'Processor Board ID' which is the same as the Serial no label printed on the back of the router.

RME in Ciscoworks picks it up as 'User Defined Serial no' and Ciscoview displays it as 'Chassis ID'. On the 3660 it's all and the same serial number so chances are it'll be the same on 3640. Below is output from all three sources which corresponds with physical label at back of router.

Processor board ID JMX0637L3G1 (sh ver)

Chassis ID: JMX0637L3G1 (Ciscoview)

User defined Serial No: JMX0637L3G1 (RME)

Physical label on router: JMX0637L3G1

that sounds wierd. I have a 3640 and the serial no printed on the back is different from what is shown by cisco works and sh ver.

The same symptoms are seen for 2621XM

narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: