cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router/Switch Selection

lehpoh
Level 1
Level 1

I always face problem in selecting appropiate router/switch for customers. Let say I have a hub (2M link) and 7 spokes (512K link) network, What router should I use for the hub and the spoke? I saw some people use 2621 router for the hub, some people use 3745 router for the hub and even some use 1721 router for the hub! So, how to select appropiate router? Any formula to follow?

If my hub has 5M link and 7 spokes have 2M link, what router should I choose then?

Same for switch, Why we need to use 6509 switch as a core while 4506 can do a equally good job and cheaper?

Anyone care to enlighten me? Thanks a lot.

1 Reply 1

tcross3
Level 1
Level 1

The answer to your question is, it depends. I would do it this way. Hub 3745, spokes 2621. Reason, 3745 would be at the center of your network and using the 80/20 rule 80% of the traffic would be crossing this router. Also if you are going to use vpns or ios firewall thisrouter would be able to handle it. The spoke would also be able to create vpn tunnels and use the ios firewall feature. Also you would have the ability to add feature cards as needed. Stay away anything smaller that a 2621 for any location if you plan to use voip or use mixed wan connectios dsl or v.35 serial.

Now as far as switches go stay away from the 6509. I have 13 6xxx boxes and they are very expensive to expand, upgrade and maintain under smartnet. Go with the 4506. Also story around the campfire is the the 6xxx series may go end of life/sale soon. Every feature the typical lan needs can be run on 4506. I would get the 4506 with dual supervisors with msfc. You can also use th 4506 as your edge device and not use routers at all. The 4506 can take some types of wan cards and can run the ios firewall. Using switches would reduce your move in cost.

Hope this helps.

Tom Ross