cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router testing.

ddevecka
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to connect 2 1601 series routers together via the Serial port to simulate a WAN link? My goal is to test the link before taking the routers off site for installation.

ANy info would help.

Thanks,Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes. You would need a standard t-1 crossover cable. ( 1&2 to 4&5 )

The CSU/DSU method is the best test. Just make sure that someone provides clock. ( Usually one of the CSU/DSU's )

Doug

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

zodell
Level 1
Level 1

All you need to do is create a crossover cable from one WIC to another WIC. Assuming that you are using a T1 module. I do it all the time.

doug.lockwood
Level 1
Level 1

If you are connecting the serial cables, you need something to crossover the transmit and receive.

You can use the CSU/DSU that you are going to install, and a T-1 crossover.

You can use a "modem eliminator", a device that provides clock and crossover functions.

You can buy a DCE cable for one of the routers. That router then must be configured to provide clocking for the circuit.

You can buy a crossover cable with the correct interface for both routers.

the router connected to the DCE side of the cable then is configured to provide routing.

This will work for any wan protocol except for frame relay. Frame relay will require additional configuration or additional hardware.

Hope this helps;

Doug

If I went the CSU/DSU route, I would would just need a standard crossover cable in-between the 2 CSU/DSU's?

Yes. You would need a standard t-1 crossover cable. ( 1&2 to 4&5 )

The CSU/DSU method is the best test. Just make sure that someone provides clock. ( Usually one of the CSU/DSU's )

Doug