Views
Helpful
Replies

router throughput calculation (in kpps)

Carlos A. Silva
Level 3
Level 3

hi:

you know how cisco systems advertises throughput numbers for each box that they sell. what's the base-packet size for the calculation?

for example a 2600 is advertised as a 25kpps box. how does cisco get this number? do they use a 64-byte base packet size? is there an average size?

someone told me cisco uses 300byte packets...is this true?

regards,

c.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

64 byte packets are the optimal case for pps because they take the least amount of time to deal with. As such, max pps numbers tend to be calculated with 64 byte packets. I believe I've seen this information on Cisco's site before, so I don't know why TAC couldn't answer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

dinekal
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

yes its a billion dollar question for long time and still to me. Even from TAC I didn't get the answer. Hope some body should flash some light on this.

Looking forward the reply,

Dinesh.K

64 byte packets are the optimal case for pps because they take the least amount of time to deal with. As such, max pps numbers tend to be calculated with 64 byte packets. I believe I've seen this information on Cisco's site before, so I don't know why TAC couldn't answer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: