Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routing an IP into a different network.

I have two separate networks. 10.253.4.1 and 10.254.4.1 I need to move a server that exists in one of these networks into the other. How would I do this and maintain the exact same IP that it currently has?

Example: Server exists as 10.253.4.21 and I need to keep this address but move it to the 10.254.4.1 network.

Thanks,

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Routing an IP into a different network.

Scott,

NAT stands for Network Address Translation. It is a feature available in any IOS IP Plus Feature set since 11.2. Here's a good link on NAT:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e77.shtml

Let me know if you can't access this link, I can email the PDF version.

Also let us know about your specific topology if you need additional assistance.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr. Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

So you are going to change the IP address on this server and you want all the clients to keep accessing this server using the same address? If so, you could use NAT to hide the address change.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr. Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Anonymous
N/A

Yes. You are correct. I am moving this server to the other network for a Disaster Test. The problem I am facing is that the clients (thousands and thousands of them) all are hard-coded looking for the current IP address. They do not have the ability to use DNS. So if I use NAT this will permit the clients to see the old address and route to the new server address?

Cisco Employee

Correct.

Harold Ritter
Sr. Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Anonymous
N/A

May I ask you for a quick understanding of NAT. I am definitely not network person. Is this a function of a router? Does it require any special software?

Thank you so much for your help.

Scott

Cisco Employee

Scott,

NAT stands for Network Address Translation. It is a feature available in any IOS IP Plus Feature set since 11.2. Here's a good link on NAT:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e77.shtml

Let me know if you can't access this link, I can email the PDF version.

Also let us know about your specific topology if you need additional assistance.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr. Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Anonymous
N/A

You have helped me big time. Thank you very much. I will be able to forward this information on to my network team advising of the solution you have provided. This is what we were looking for. Thank you again.

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content