cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing between Multiple VLANS

b.mason
Level 1
Level 1

I am going to implement a Catalyst 4506 which will have about 10 VLANS and I want to be able to route between these VLANS. The switch is also plugged into a 7206 FastEthernet port. I know I can create sub interfaces but would rather use trunking on the fast ethernet interface. Can anyone suggest any configuration examples of the router to enable it to route traffic between VLAN's on a single interface?

2 Replies 2

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Here is a link that details possible scenarios for inter-vlan routing and configuration details.

Cheers

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

banajahm
Level 1
Level 1

first of all, trunking and routing using subinterfaces are two very different things. depending on the senario, you would use one or the other. in this case you would use both.

this senario is typically called a router-on-a-stick. assuming you would use 802.1q, here's is what you would do to enable routing for one VLAN (e.g. VLAN 10):

router#config t

router(config)#int fa0/0

router(config-if)#no shut

router(config-if)#int fa0/0.10

router(config-if)#encap dot1q 10 (the vlan that will use this interface to route its data)

router(config-if)#ip address IPADDRESS NETMASK (this will be the gateway address for all nodes on that LAN/VLAN)

you will notice that you have to use trunking to inform the router of the type of tagging that will be associated with each LAN color. just using routing will not cut it.

good luck