mlaturner
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone ever routed by port number.

5 Replies 5

svermill
Level 4
Level 4

You can look into policy routing on CCO. With this approach, you set policy for inbound traffic on an interface. You then use 'match' and 'set' commands to achieve your goal (for instance set next hop). You can match the incoming traffic using extended access lists, which I believe allow you to go down to the destination port number.

kanwaljeet
Level 1
Level 1

It is very easy and you can define outgoing port for a given set of IPs.

int s1/2

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

ip policy route-map ABC

access-list 20 permit y.y.y.y y.y.y.y

route-map ABC

match ip address 20

set interface s2/3

i hope it helps.

Thanks

kanwal

brenardjhawkins
Level 1
Level 1

Routing by port number is a crucial aspect of network management, ensuring that traffic is directed to the appropriate destination. If you're in the UK and dealing with financial transactions, it's important to have the correct routing number for seamless transfers.

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @mlaturner ,

like others have posted before, one can speculate that "routing by port number" is a form of Policy Based Routing (PBR) in which you configure a route-map in which you specify some mach criteria, the port numbers of the protocol in question, and you also specify a set criteria which instructs the router of the desired next hop for the matched packets and port numbers.

If this is the case, then most of the people here have configured at least once in their career a PBR.

With regards to the post of @brenardjhawkins , I'm not sure what network management, in the way us engineers understand it, has to do with financial transactions. In my opinion it hasn't, but I may be wrong.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

@liviu.gheorghe wrote:

Hello @mlaturner ,

like others have posted before, one can speculate that "routing by port number" is a form of Policy Based Routing (PBR) in which you configure a route-map in which you specify some mach criteria, the port numbers of the protocol in question, and you also specify a set criteria which instructs the router of the desired next hop for the matched packets and port numbers.

If this is the case, then most of the people here have configured at least once in their career a PBR.

With regards to the post of @brenardjhawkins , I'm not sure what network management, in the way us engineers understand it, has to do with financial transactions. In my opinion it hasn't, but I may be wrong.

Ditto.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: