cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing from VLAN to VLAN

iccuisdept
Level 1
Level 1

I just created a VLAN (VLAN 5) on my 6509 switch. (I am running in Hybrid Mode)

I created a VLAN 5 interface on the Router of the 6509 and assigned it an address.

I assigned a port (3/43) on the 6509 to VLAN 5

I created an ip helper-address for VLAN 5 int. on the router, and I can successfully pull a dhcp address from the PC on port 3/43 in VLAN 5 from a DHCP server in VLAN 1. I can ping host on VLAN1 and accross my WAN environment,but I cannot get to the internet from this PC on VLAN 5.

I can successfully trace a route to google.com from the VLAN 1 interface of the router, but not the VLAN 5 interface, and I have the same results on the PC.

I checked my firewall to allow access from both VLANS, and logs show that it is not even getting hit from VLAN 5.

Any ideas on where I can look to allow VLAN 5 to route to my Internet connection would be great.

2 Replies 2

Hi,

Can you answer the following questions.

1. Do you have an ACL/filter applied on the inside interface of the firewall?

2. Does the 6509 connect directly to the firewall. If so, what subnet (vlan) is the firewall inside interface on?

3. Does the firewall know how to route back to vlan5.

Pls. rate all helpful posts.

--Sundar

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

who is the gateway of last resort for vlan 5? Are you able to ping that? On the gateway of last resort, does is have a route back to vlan 5's subnet? Remember, the returned packet to the vlan 5 from the internet must also know how to get back that usually is a responsibility of the gateway of last resort or the last router to the Internet.