Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Routing IPX with VLANs

I am routing ipx through a 6509 MSFC and have a question on how the router responds to GNS requests. I'm routing 802.3 ipx packets ( Novell-Ether) but some of my servers are also configured to run 802.2(SAP). The MSFC is not configured to route 802.2. The show ipx server unsorted command shows me the 10 ipx servers that may be used to respond to GNS requests, some running 802.3 some running 802.2 and 802.3. My question is this, what frame type is the server responding with for GNS request? Is it possible that 802.2 packets are being used even though I;m not routing them? Most of my clients need to be hard coded to 802.3 in order to see the tree. I am working on removing 802.2 from the other ipx servers, but in the mean time......

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ray

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Routing IPX with VLANs

It uses the same frame type that the GNS request used. The client will send the GNS requests in all possible frame types. So both types of servers can respond and a single server may respond with both frame types, but only if it supports both frame types and it received requests on both frame types. The MSFC will only respond to GNS requests that use the frame type it supports.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content