Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Routing issue in Catalyst 3550 24 EMI Switch

We purchase one catalyst 3550 switch in assumption that we can implement Private-VLAN and layer 3 features on it as it is mentioned below URL:

we created several protected ports and VLANs and assign IP address to this vlans but could not able to make static route between them as it is mentioned that

"Traffic cannot be forwarded between protected ports at L2, all traffic passing between protected ports must be forwarded through a Layer 3 (L3) device. "

Is't my Cisco Catalyst 3550 24 EMI Switch is not layer 3 switch or what. How can I implement routing between vlans on the same switch.

Can any body help me to solve this problem.

Thanks in Advance.

2 REPLIES

Re: Routing issue in Catalyst 3550 24 EMI Switch

Communicating over a private port with another vlan is identical to using a non-private port. The difference is in communicating with other ports in the SAME vlan. Traffic for secure ports is not flooded within the vlan.

I think you might have a configuration issue, or your switch may not have L3 capabilities. The model you specified should be able to switch on Layer3.

Several possibilities:

Did you configure the vlan in the vtp database?

Have you configured an interface vlan x for every vlan you use?

It may be something else, feel free to post your config so we can help you out.

Regards,

Leo

Re: Routing issue in Catalyst 3550 24 EMI Switch

Have you entered the "ip routing" command ?

Has caught a few people out on the 3550.

Views
Helpful
Replies