Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Routing Issue with 3550

I am having a routing issue with a 3550 switch. I have 5 vlans and I need one of the vlans to access a different router based on destination IP rather than our edge router. I have entered a static route on the 3550 that points to the secondary router whenever a certain network is tried to be accessed. My problem is I can't seem to get the traffic to flow correctly. When I trace route an address on the Internet the path shows as expected, the 3550 then my firewall then my edge router. When I trace an address that is on the other side of the secondary router I get the 3550 as the first hop, then nothing. I can ping the address so I know the path is up. What could be the issue? Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES

Re: Routing Issue with 3550

HI

Can u update us where u have connected u r secondry router on 3550.can u connect it to the port on 3550 in the vlan from which u want the traffic to flow to this secondry rotuer.And also check the the static route and have u configured any default route.

Thanks

Mahmood

Re: Routing Issue with 3550

Hello,

in addition to Mahmood´s post, what do you have defined as the next hop for the default route to the secondary router ? If you use an interface on the 3550 as the next hop, make sure that whatever is connected is in the same subnet, otherwise use the IP address of the next hop. So, let´s say your remote network is 192.168.1.0, and the secondary router is connected to FastEthernet0/1, your default route should look like this if the secondary router is in the same subnet (in this example, the IP address of the secondary router would be 172.16.1.2):

interface FastEthernet0/1

no switchport

ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.252

ip route 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 FastEthernet0/0

Otherwise, try:

ip route 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 172.16.1.2

where 172.16.1.2 would be the address of the secondary router.

Does that make sense ?

Regards,

GNT

Views
Helpful
Replies