Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing issues and external firewalls

aearley
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I have been administering a new network for the past half-year, and been trying to figure out a problem. Here's the background:

I have a three building WAN, linked by frames, with a firewall @ the POP. The firewall is an all-in-one Linux unit with a web front end, TeamInternet is what it's called.

I have all the routers configured so that the WAN is in 'good' working order (I can see everything inside the three school WAN) however I can only get ICMP or other telnet/ftp based services through to the outside world from the POP building. Everything from the two other buildings just gets reported as unreachable if it is outside the firewall. I have called the firewall company, and they say it's not them. I have gone over the routers, and they seem fine.

Any ideas? Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--Andy

2 Replies 2

0sgruttadauria
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like:

firewall does not have routes to the remote (non-POP) networks

or

firewall has rule only allowing outbound from the POP network

or

firewall is only nat'ing source addresses from the POP network

Good luck

I agreed with Osgruttadauria suggestions. I already encountered this same problems where Linux is acting as firewall, proxy, router, & etc.. When I isolated the problems and redirected the internet access to a PIX firewall (which I knew better than Linux) everything starts to works beautiful.

I think you need to harrash your Linux engineer or maybe it time to replace them.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: