cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing on 3560

twebb
Level 1
Level 1

I'm pretty new to the Cisco world and I'm pretty much self-taught on what I know now.

My question is:

I have a 3560G 48 port switch that we are going to use to create an isolated test network. I'm trying to simulate our actual network as much as possible however I cannot seem to make everything work. This could be an error on my part, but I've got several VLAN's setup with IP addresses and default gateways, and from a PC on one network I can ping another interface on this switch which is on a different VLAN. So, for instance, my pc is 10.10.23.23/16 and I can plug into a port on the switch (configure the port for access on this VLAN) and ping 192.168.0.2/24 which is another interface on this switch. This 192.168.0.x network is our outbound internet connection. (This may be my problem that follows) connected to that interface of the switch is a D-Link router/firewall (DI-624) that has a managment address on it's LAN side of 192.168.0.1 and if I telnet to the switch I can ping this interface (the 192.168.0.1 one), however if I just hook up a pc with an address on a different VLAN and try to ping past the 192.168.0.2 (the outbound VLAN interface on the switch) I can't. I will attach the config. I am plugged into gig eth 0/43 with a pc with an address of 10.10.23.23/16 and the D-Link is connected to gig eth 0/47 with an address of 192.168.0.1/24.

Thanks for the help in advance.

TW

2 Replies 2

JASON WELCH
Level 1
Level 1

My guess is that the D-link doesn't know how to get back to your other networks. If you are on the switch, you can ping 192.168.0.2 (dlink) correct?

Try and do an extended ping from the switch and set your source interface to vlan 1 (10.10.0.0/16 network). If it doesn't reply, try doing the same ping only change the source interface to your 192.168.0.2/24 interface.

If you tracert from the PC what path does the trace take?

Do you know if your dlink has a route to the 10.10.0.0/16 network pointing to 192.168.0.1?

Thanks for the help. However I think I've got the problem figured out.

Seems that since the D-Link firewall/router is a SOHO version the lan side of it doesn't have the ability to have a default gateway (since the D-Link in a SOHO environment is intended to be THE default gateway) so when it tries to reply to me on a different network than 192.168.0.x it doesn't know how to. Thanks for the help though.

TW

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: