cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

routing on a switch

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

if I have my core router, and a 3550 switch on my lan, I have then a wan link from this 3550 to my other office, how do I route to the layer 3 port on the switch, Do I point a route to vlan 1 on the switch from my core ?

5 Replies 5

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

If you are using static route, simply configure a static route on the core router that points to the IP address of the vlan interface on the 3550.

Hope that helps - pls do rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Hi Paresh

Is this the normal pratice then ? would you mainly use layer 3 ports on my switch for wan links ? then to route to this layer 3 port I would point a route to vlan 1 on the switch from my core ?

cheers

Hi,

There are couple of ways you can configure the switch for WAN (routed) links.

On a layer 3 switch you can make the switchport a layer 3 (routed) port by issuing the command 'no switchport' on the physical interface and configuring all IP address & parameters on this interface. In this case, the route on your core device would point to this address as the next hop.

(or)

You can create a SVI (logical) VLAN interface and assign it the IP address. In this case, the uplink port connected to your core would be acting as a switchport (default). The route from the core would be pointing to the next hop address of the SVI (vlan) interface of this switch.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Sundar

Hi Sundar

thanks for the reply , in your first example, are you saying to route to this layer 3 port from my core I would assign it 2 ip addresses ? 1 for my local lan and the other for the wan link ?

Hi there, would We normally have these layer ports plugged straight into a router, or Can we plug them into another switch ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: