Views
Helpful
Replies

routing problem

nitinnigam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have two routers connected via frame-relay(point-to-point).

router 1

s0/0.1 - 1.1.1.1

s0/0.2 - 2.2.2.2

f0/0 - 3.3.3.3

router 2

s0/0.1 - 1.1.1.2

s0/0.2 - 20.20.20.20

f0/0 - 30.30.30.30

from router1 I can ping all the interfaces of the router2.

There are two networks behind router2 5.5.5.5 and 6.6.6.6, from router2 I can ping both the networks but when I try to traceroute from router1 on any of the networks it only reaches till 1.1.1.2 (router2 serial interface) and cannot find both the network. I can't ping them as well.

I checked the routing and everything is ok. I am using OSPF as routing protocol and in router1 I can see that it has discovered the correct path for the network.

Can anyone please help me that why I can't ping the network behind the router. I can ping all both the networks from router2 but not from router1.

thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

kevin-reynolds
Level 1
Level 1

Do 5.5.5.5 and 6.6.6.6 know how to get back to router 1 (1.1.1.1)? It could very well be that your pings are making it to the destination networks but get lost coming back.

Kevin

View solution in original post

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

On router1, do an extended ping, sourcing the ping from one of the serial interfaces, instead of the default source:

2651A#ping

Protocol [ip]:

Target IP address: 5.5.5.5

Repeat count [5]:

Datagram size [100]:

Timeout in seconds [2]:

Extended commands [n]: y

Source address or interface: serial0/0

Type of service [0]:

Set DF bit in IP header? [no]:

Validate reply data? [no]:

Data pattern [0xABCD]:

Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[none]:

Sweep range of sizes [n]:

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 5.5.5.5, timeout is 2 seconds:

If this fails, then 5.5.5.5 doesn't know how to get off segments, which implies its default gateway is wrong, or, if it's a router, that it isn't hearing about the routes attached to router 1. If it's a router, are you running ospf with that router as well? Can you do a show ip ospf nei, and see if the adjacency is up?

If not, then we need to troubleshoot that. Generally, a debug ip ospf neighbor will tell us what's wrong there.

Russ.W

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

kevin-reynolds
Level 1
Level 1

Do 5.5.5.5 and 6.6.6.6 know how to get back to router 1 (1.1.1.1)? It could very well be that your pings are making it to the destination networks but get lost coming back.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

I have checked and the routes are there because I can ping 3.3.3.3 from both the networks.

thanks

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

On router1, do an extended ping, sourcing the ping from one of the serial interfaces, instead of the default source:

2651A#ping

Protocol [ip]:

Target IP address: 5.5.5.5

Repeat count [5]:

Datagram size [100]:

Timeout in seconds [2]:

Extended commands [n]: y

Source address or interface: serial0/0

Type of service [0]:

Set DF bit in IP header? [no]:

Validate reply data? [no]:

Data pattern [0xABCD]:

Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[none]:

Sweep range of sizes [n]:

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 5.5.5.5, timeout is 2 seconds:

If this fails, then 5.5.5.5 doesn't know how to get off segments, which implies its default gateway is wrong, or, if it's a router, that it isn't hearing about the routes attached to router 1. If it's a router, are you running ospf with that router as well? Can you do a show ip ospf nei, and see if the adjacency is up?

If not, then we need to troubleshoot that. Generally, a debug ip ospf neighbor will tell us what's wrong there.

Russ.W

Hi Russ,

I have checked the routes and its ok because I can ping 3.3.3.3 from 5.5.5.5 and 6.6.6.6 without any problem but I can't ping both the networks from 3.3.3.3

I can ping both the networks from router2 but not from router1.

And when I traceroute from router1 I can see the next hop i.e. router2 and thats it.

And currently I am not using any access-list to block any traffic.

Is there any debugging or anything else I can do?

I have added the static routes

thanks

Hi Russ,

I tried the extended ping from interface 3.3.3.3 and it works but if I try normal ping its not working.

Thanks

Nitin

nitinnigam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help, I fold out it was routing problem. As I only added the routes for 3.3.3.3 and not for 1.1.1.1, So when I was doing normal ping it was going out via 1.1.1.1 and in 5.5.5.5 it doesn't know how to reach 1.1.1.1 but when I was doing extended ping and use 3.3.3.3 it always worked because there were routes for this interface.

thanks for the help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: