Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing protocol for 100% ISDN network

onejepp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

After completed trial on a single ISDN remote office (please refer to forum titled: ISDN on old 1601, - thanks Mr. Tepatel), the customer is now considering of replacing all their low speed leased lines with ISDN.

Now in single ISDN plus 8 leased lines remote office to a single HQ environment, I use static route from ISDN and then redistribute to EIGRP in the leased lines network.

My questions:

1. If all 9 remotes office will be changed to ISDN, can I use EIGRP ? or any dynamic routing protocols?

2. Does the periodic routing table updates will unncessarily dial the ISDN every 90 secs (for EIGRP)? this will defeat the purpose of using ISDN. how is the best way to handle routing protocol in dial up ISDN network ?

3. The customer will create a new datacentre in another place (5 km from HQ). So I need to configure the remotes to dial to the HQ, log into Windows NT network (because the Domain Controller resides in HQ) and then exchange data with the data centre (which of course will cause HQ to dial up the datacentre). Is it advisable to also use ISDN between HQ and the datacentre? any constraint. due to whatever reason, the customer cannot placed the datacentre at the HQ!

OK, that all. thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

You can use any dynamic routing protocol providing you do not want the routing uopdates to be sent out on the same interface that they were received on over the second D-channel. If you do need this functionality then run EIGRP.

The Snapshot routing feature can be used to prevent periodic routing updates from bringing up the line. See the following URL for more information -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk133/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009454e.shtml