cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Routing protocol on two interfaces seperated by another ip network

Hello,

Is it possible to run eigrp, rip, or ospf process on two router interfaces that are seperated by an ip network of routers that don't participate in the process ? Just to know if the end to end connectivity goes down somewhere in the path. I have heard this is only possible with BGP using private ASN's at each end.

i.e. EIGRP1-Router-Router-Router-EIGRP1

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Routing protocol on two interfaces seperated by another ip n

You can do this using either an interior gateway protocol (i.e., EIGRP, RIP, etc) through a GRE tunnel or directly via BGP. The BGP can be configured as EBGP or IBGP, whichever fits in with your other uses of BGP (if none, IBGP, that is, both ends in the same ASN, is easier to work with). Similarly, unless you need BGP for multihoming as well, any private ASN would work fine (or even a public one you don't own, but that is a different issue... might as well plan ahead :-).

FWIW: This is the same problem as occurs with routing over a VPN. See the "Redundant Routes in IPsec VPNs" white paper on my web site for examples of both approaches.

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

Re: Routing protocol on two interfaces seperated by another ip n

Thanks Vincent... BTW I got your book recently and although I have not yet had a chance to read it, it looks very impressive !

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content