Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

routing protocols

hi,

i'm looking for a routing protocol which is distance-vector and link-state in one. is there anybody who can tell me something about it? i only know routing protocols which are one of this two kinds (link-state and distance-vector).

but i had a question about it in a exam.

thanks

thomas

5 REPLIES

Re: routing protocols

Cisco bills EIGRP as a hybrid routing protocol... That may be the answer you were looking for.

Mick.

hi mick,

thank you very much for your answer. eigrp was one of the answers in the exam. but i thought it's a only distance-vector.

thomas

OSPF is Link state within an area, and distance vector between areas.

This is another posible answer.

Regards;

Doug

the answer to that would be EIGRP. EIGRP is a Cisco proprietery routing protocol that takes into account distance vector as well as link state. It's also called a hybrid routing protocol for obivious reason.

Gold

The exam was wrong; there is no such protocol. When EIGRP was first put out, the marketing folks said it was a hybrid between link state and distance vector, but EIGRP is truly a distance vector protocol. Note this isn't a bad thing--EIGRP is a completely different distance vector protocol than RIP, for instance, using DUAL, rather than Bellman-Ford. The best intro would be the EIGRP white paper on CCO, or the EIGRP for IP Networks book on Addison Wesley. There is a good Cisco Press book as well, and a section on EIGRP in Advanced IP Network Design. There's also a section on EIGRP in Alex Zinin's IP Routing book,and the Networker's slides are always a good reference.

Russ

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content