cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing T1 Access

rwithers
Level 1
Level 1

I have 4 T1's already configured and working on my 3640. We now have added another office and have a Cisco 1720 in there. I want to configure the 1720 and the 3640 so that the other office can share our internet access. How do I go about doing this.

Thanks

Ron

5 Replies 5

dwax
Level 1
Level 1

is the internet pipe coming into the 3640??

how are the 1720 and 3640 connected??

are you using a firewall??

there are a lot of questions that need answers first

Yes there are 4 T1's comming into the 3640 and they are setup to be routed with a BGP protocol. The 1720 and the 3640 are connected via a point to point T1 connection through the phone company. There is no firewall.

Why don't you NAT on the one of the 3640's serial interfaces and overload on the valid IP. Then have a default route set on the 1720 to point to the 3640.

just an idea.

Hi,

All u need to do is configure T1 link on 1720,in the 1720 make a default route to 3640 and advertise the new office netwrok thru BGP and dont forget to make a route entry in the 3640 pointing to network connected to 1720 otherwise manu will be angry.

Thats all

Thanks

kanwal

manu.k.unni
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The first step for you is to connect your new network to your existing network via telephone department cables. Set up default route of your new network pointing to the serial ip of your 3640. Since u have 4 + 1 links totally. Configure a static route towards ur network which is connected to 1720 router pointing to its serial port. Once your point to point link is ready, the next step is to make your network available for the outside world. For which since you are using BGP protocol, advertise your new networks IP address pool through BGP to your peer depending on the policy you are following.