cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing the none Routable

matthew.donahue
Level 1
Level 1

I have my main application database running on our mainframe servers. The database we are using is not routable, however. I have three off site offices that were connected using old fibermux equiptment. We are replacing these with cisco routers to connect over a T1 line. I just wanted to double check some configurations to make sure that the remote opffices will be able to access the database.

no ip routing

int s 0/0

bridge-group 1

int f 0/0

bridge-group 1

bridge 1 protocl ieee

will this configurations work??

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You have enabled bridging, and this should work for you. But it would be much better to use a protocol such as DLSW, for the wan.

To understand more about DLSW, you can visit this link

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/697/index.shtml

If you are using SNA, you should note that, SNA is delay sensitive. SO you might want to prioritize traffic for SNA.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

raarons
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, but to state the obvious, by disabling IP routing you will not have IP connectivity across the WAN. If your T1 is already carrying IP traffic (or other routable protocols), you should configure instead...

ip routing

!

int Fastethernet0/0

ip address .....

bridge-group 1

!

int Serial0/0

ip address ....

bridge-group 1

!

bridge 1 protocol ieee

This will route IP and bridge non-IP traffic.

Hope this helps.

Is it possible to bridge ip traffic without routing ip?

Here are the configs on my 2 routers. Can someone tell me whats wrong?

Cisco_805

!

no ip routing

!

int ethernet0

ip address 212.0.1.254 255.255.255.0

bridge-group 1

!

int serial 0

ip address 212.0.1.254 255.255.255.0

bridge-group 1

!

bridge 1 protocol ieee

!

Cisco_1601

!

no ip routing

!

int ethernet0

ip address 212.0.1.253 255.255.255.0

bridge-group 1

!

int serial 0

ip address 212.0.1.253 255.255.255.0

bridge-group 1

!

bridge 1 protocol ieee

!

1601 can ping its own ip address and the ip address of 805. I can telnet to the 805 from either the network connected to the 1601 or from 1601 itself.

But when I ping from the 805, I can't ping the 1601 nor the pc on the 1601 network.

I noticed that when I type "show interface ethernet 0" in the 805

it says: Ethernet 0 is up, line protocol is down.

Any ideas? Or my configuration is wrong? is it ok to have the same IP address for both the ethernet and serial?

I replaced the 805 with 2621, but it won't permit that I use the same IP for both the serial and FE. So I returned the 805 back to the setup.

You may wish to look at something like CRB to fix this, this will allow you to bridge traffic as well as doing some routing.

Also, why do you want to assign the same IP addr to multiple interfaces?

Regards

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: