cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing vlans across a WAN

ezlg
Level 1
Level 1

I have two sites on different VTP domains. Site A has a dsl router that site B needs to access over the WAN/T1. I have plugged the one of dsl router ports to a cisco port and assigned a vlan X to that port without a default gateway. I can access the dsl anywhere at site A by assigning that vlan X to another port. How can I have that vlan show up across the WAN at the site B.

4 Replies 4

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

One really doesn't route vlans, Think of a subnet that is part of a vlan instead.

What kind of switches are you using ?

How is the wan t1 connected ? routers ?

If youhave both sites connected by routers, they can advertise the necessary subnets to each other, that way the clients can "see" the dsl device.

Well, the subnet is provided by SWBELL, with 5 static ip's. Since, swbell is providing the me with the default gateway I wasn't sure how to advertise that subnet without adding a another default gateway in the MSFC config. The vlan I created doesn't have a network identifier. How does vlan X at site B know how to communicate with vlan X at site A?

The dsl router is connected to a cat4000 to a 6509 to a 7206 to the T1 with the same setup on the other side.

ok, I'm going to make a couple of guesses here. the dsl router is saying its the default route (0.0.0.0) probably with a static route statement. depending on

how your 2 7206's are configured for routing, they should be configured to redistribute static. that would pass the default route between sites.

as far as vlans communicating, your vlans are in subnets correct ? I would guess that the routers at each end have knowledge of those subnets

prafuljaded
Level 3
Level 3

Since your vlans at both sites are in different subnets, there should be no problem. You can either run a routing protocol or have static routes to reach to and fro.

Well I have no idea about DSL router.