routing with two router

konn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two router as follows.

1. Cisco 1700 running lease line.

2. Cisco 837 running ADSL.

I want to configure my router such that when users are sending and recieving email to access the Cisco 837 router, and others to access Cisco 1700 router.

How can I go about that ?

Pls advice. Thanks

6 Replies 6

toerierz
Level 1
Level 1

One way would be to use access lists only allowing/disallowing smtp traffic. Basically filtering based on port number.

Users cant choose a router, they can only arp for things in their network or point to a gateway router to get out of their network. Same thing on the email server's side. You didnt describe the topology so I'm guessing these are the only two routers. it sounds like the 1700 should be the gateway. If the 837 and 1700 are running a vlsm routing protocol have the 837 advertise a host specific route for the email host that is better than any route the 1700 has. That will make the 1700 forward email traffic from the users to the 837.

On the other side the email host should use the 837 as its gateway. If there are more routers involved you need to explain the whole topology.

aretsu
Level 1
Level 1

May be you can use PBR on the 1700 router, so when a packet match SMTP TCP port redirect the packet to the 837 router.

Can you explain what is PBR and show me some sample configuration ?

Thanks

Policy Based Routing

You can use ACL to match traffic and send it to the other router...

You can find configuration examples at CCO, using the search engine with the word "PBR"

Hope this help

yeah PBR can helps you