Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

routing

Hi all

If I have routing set up that so that say if I have 3 routers A,B,C ,A being head office, B and C are remote, they are fully meshed, if I point a route from A to B, but then to get back to B it has to go via C, is this a loop, or will it still work ?

2 REPLIES
Blue

Re: routing

in routing, loops are OK and one of the primary means of creating a redundant topology.

in switching/bridging, loops are NOT OK.

your fully meshed topology of routers A, B & C will work fine. your routes as stated will work fine. (taking the long way back to A may not be recommended, but it will work.)

see this link for more info on internetwork design:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6587/products_white_paper09186a00804f83c0.shtml

Silver

Re: routing

I think what your describing is asymmetrical routing, where traffic gets to a destination one way and returns another. It can happen and is not necessarily "wrong" although not always optimal.

A routing loop is more of a black hole for traffic. If you put a route in router A to go through B to get to a network at router C, and put a route in router B to go through A to get to C, this would be a loop. Traffic destined to router C from either A or B would bounce between the A & B routers.

Views
Helpful
Replies