cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RSM Vlan Interface Bandwidth

kfccolonel
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cat 5513 with a RSM. The RSM has numerous Vlan's configured. I'll use Vlan 8 in my example.

When I do a "Show Interface Vlan 8" on the RSM, I notice it says the bandwidth is 100mb. This is the same bandwidth listed for each Vlan in the RSM.

Now I have a few servers in vlan 8 and clients in say vlan 10.

I have my network monitor setup to monitor "interface Vlan 8" on the rsm.

During heavy usage periods, my network monitor shows the Interface Vlan 8 is at 100% usage.

Why is that. I have never heard any complaints, but it would seem to me that that 100mb listed under the show interface vlan 8 is really meaningless because the RSM as a whole has a much bigger connection to the Cat 5513.

Iam I right..or am I missing something here?

3 Replies 3

nemmco
Level 1
Level 1

A 'show port' shows the link are 400M.

To reduce RSM load and improve speed, have a look at implementing MLS.

Peter

I was really refering to the command on the RSM: "show interface vlan ##"

I do understand that the RSM has an 400mb connection to the switch by default...but I'm not sure why Vlan interfaces say they only have 100mb worth of bandwidth using the above command.

Probably because that is all they are allocated on the RSM otherwise you risk burrying the RSM on such a big box . This why you should have mls implemented as most traffic will never even reach the RSM it is switched in hardware and "greatly" reduces the load on the RSM itself. If you don't have mls implemented you run the risk of quickly burying the RSM on big multislot boxes like a 5513 .