Views
Helpful
Replies

RSPAN problem

pccthailand
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I would like to config RSPAN between switch#A and switch#B, i have config switch#A with RSPAN source session on interface f0/22, reflector-port on int f0/8 and vlan 99. Switch#B i have config RSPAN dest session on interface f0/4 , it's not work !! (No any input traffic on interface f0/4). Please help me to suggest and correct my config

This's my config RSPAN on switch#A

monitor session 1 destination interface Fa0/4

monitor session 1 source remote vlan 99

and SwitchB

monitor session 1 source interface Fa0/22

monitor session 1 destination remote vlan 99 reflector-port Fa0/8

P.S. Two switch is 2950(SI) connect between them with trunk

3 Replies 3

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

One thing is very important: is VLAN 99 declared as an RSPAN VLAN? If you do not do that, the switches learn the MAC forwarding tables in the normal way, and so you will only see a tiny protportion of the traffic on your monitor ports. Do this on your VTP server:

vlan 99

remote-span

end

There are some other restrictions. The RSPAN VLAN must not be the native of your trunk, you must not configure any access ports on the RSPAN VLAN, etc. Here is some doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804762da.html#wp1401177

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

pccthailand
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I try to do follow the document but it still not work

I created the vlan span (vlan 99) and no any port access on it like this :

VLAN Name Status Ports

---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------

1 default active Fa0/1, Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/4

Fa0/5, Fa0/6, Fa0/7, Fa0/9

Fa0/10, Fa0/11, Fa0/12, Fa0/13

Fa0/14, Fa0/15, Fa0/16, Fa0/17

2 Outside active Fa0/8, Fa0/18, Fa0/19, Fa0/20

Fa0/21, Fa0/22

99 VLAN0099 active

please suggest me if i'm wrong

Thanks

PS. Kevin thanks for reply and gave me a good document

I found this in the very nice link that Kevin had sent:

To use the RSPAN feature described in this section, you must have the EI installed on your switch. Follow these guidelines when configuring RSPAN:

I believe that the original post indicated that the switches have the SI image rather than the EI image.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: