Helpful
Replies

RSTP clarification

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

Dear all

I have gone thru the attched:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_white_paper09186a0080094cfa.shtml

What I am not clear about is the difference between the 2 scenarios:

1-Adding a new link which requires syncng the ports and pushing the blocking downstream. This does not rely on timers and therefore is faster. However, I assume total convergence would equal number of switches X BPDUs hello timer.

2-Topology change, which means a port going from blocking to forwarding. Convergence equals TC while timer X 2 hellos.

On secanrio 1, when a port is moved from blocked to forward, should process in scenario 2 be invoqued ?

Any good links are welcome, meanwhile I keep looking

TIA

Sam

2 Replies 2

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Sam,

-1- The hello timer is not involved because there is a kind of "flash update" to use L3 terminology. As soon as there is new information to be propagated, a BPDU is immediately sent out (there is a rate limiting of the BPDUs in case too many changes occur). So the convergence will basically depend on how fast a BPDU can be propagated to the edge of the newtork...

-2- The sync does not trigger a topology change. So a port temporary blocked by a sync will not generate a topology change when unblocking. However, the change in the network that initially triggered the sync is likely to have already started a TC.

Regards,

Francois

Hi Francois

Thanks for ur useful comments.

If I understand u well, an outage situation behaves the same way as a new link addition. AT the end of the day a sync very likely ends up in a port transiting from blocking to forwarding and therefore BPDUs with TC will be flooded.

In both cases (outgage or new link), the sequence should be as follows:

1-Sync negotaitions.

2-Switch react by putting a port to forward state.

3-TC state, BPDU flood during TC while.

Do u know of any good documents on the subject, cisco PDFs are a bit thin.

Regards

Sam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco