Views
Helpful
Replies

RSTP

per.nielsen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I'm running RSTP on a 2950 switch

When executing the show spanning-tree command is tells me the Mzx age timer is 20 sec

My understanding was that the blocikng state didn't exist when running RSTP ????

per

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Per,

RSTP is in fact build on the top of STP. It's true that timers have little use in a network properly configured for RSTP. However, there are some few cases where RSTP falls back into an STP like mode of operation and where the timers will be useful:

- when dealing with shared segment (it has been improved in the latest spec but not yet updated in our implementation).

- when interacting with legacy STP bridges.

About the max-age timer in particular.It's true that max-age will not be used directly to age out information (3xhello-time is used instead). However, the age of BPDU received on the root port are still increased by one when transmitted on designated port. As a result, in a pure RSTP network, the age is used as a kind of hop count, and max-age represent the maximum number of bridge a BPDU can go through before being discarded.

I did not really get your "blocking state" statement though. Let me know if you still have any doubt.

Regards,

Francois

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Per,

RSTP is in fact build on the top of STP. It's true that timers have little use in a network properly configured for RSTP. However, there are some few cases where RSTP falls back into an STP like mode of operation and where the timers will be useful:

- when dealing with shared segment (it has been improved in the latest spec but not yet updated in our implementation).

- when interacting with legacy STP bridges.

About the max-age timer in particular.It's true that max-age will not be used directly to age out information (3xhello-time is used instead). However, the age of BPDU received on the root port are still increased by one when transmitted on designated port. As a result, in a pure RSTP network, the age is used as a kind of hop count, and max-age represent the maximum number of bridge a BPDU can go through before being discarded.

I did not really get your "blocking state" statement though. Let me know if you still have any doubt.

Regards,

Francois

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: