cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RTM 1.4 bulk add import - how to specify switch device type

iswift
Level 1
Level 1

Am trying to manage a large number of Cat4507's running native IOS.

I could add each switch individually but prefer to use an import file.

I am trying to specify a switch type of CAT4000 or CAT4000IOS in the import file instead of the using the GUI but the syntax is not recognised.

Only 'Automatic' appears to work but the problem in this instance is that the Cat4507 has not been added to the OID table so sysOID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.501 is not recognised.

What is the syntax for the first field of each line in the import file when specifying CAT4000IOS or CAT4000.

There does not appear to be a generic problem with the C4507 as a device, rather the import process won't accept anything other than 'automatic' as a valid value.

4 Replies 4

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

For Bulk Add Import use the Device Type as 'automatic'. Don't need to specify the specific device type. For example:

For Switches:

Device Type, Device Name, IP Address, Read Community String, Write Community String, Retries, Timeout

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

automatic, Cat1700, 10.100.10.10, public, private, 2, 20

On a side note, I don't see Cat4507 as listed as supported for RTM 1.4:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2803/prod_release_note09186a00800e5676.html#xtocid14

Does only 'Automatic' work as a switch type then ?

I thought the import file was equivalent to providing the information in the GUI ?

If you manually add the 4507 using device type CAT4000 or CAT4000IOS then it works fine.

I want to automate that process for slightly less than 100 switches.

The problem with 'auto' as you can appreciate is oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.501 is not recognised.

Any tips would be appreciated, if automatic is the only accepted syntax then that's obviously the way it is.

Ian

'automatic' is to be used for import since you don't have to specify the device type in the file. RTM 1.4 automatically detects and adds it.

Thanks, I appreciate the ease of using 'automatic', but ...

Does that mean you cannot specify the switch type if you want to ?

Ian.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco