Views
Helpful
Replies

RTR (SAA) examples (again)

amiklos
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

I'd like to ask you for some examples of live configuration of RTR feature regarding to DNS.

There in our network is need to have supervised DNS services, and we need the traps sent from the routers to the supervision, that the DNS service is down.

RTR should check DNS service periodically whether this servis is up or is down. In the case that is down, router will sent the trap to the supervision. I will appreciate any examples (please do not send me the links to CISCO site - I've already studied them)

dont know whether I forgot for something in configs or what,

please mail to attila.miklos@orange.sk

thank You in advance

3 Replies 3

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Often times complex configuration issues are best addressed in an interactive session with one of our trained technical assistance engineers. While other forum users may be able to help, it’s often difficult to do so for this type of issue.

To utilize the resources at our Technical Assistance Center, please visit http://www.cisco.com/tac and to open a case with one of our TAC engineers, visit http://www.cisco.com/tac/caseopen

If anyone else in the forum has some advice, please reply to this thread.

Thank you for posting.

minielsen
Level 2
Level 2

From the SAA documentation I've seen on CCO it seems pretty straight forward to configure e.g. DNS polls in IOS. I must admit that I have only tried it using IPM from CW2000 RWAN (or alternatively SLM from CW2000 SMS). Did you consider using IPM?

This is an example I have made up after looking through CCO SAA examples:

rtr 1

type dns target-addr www.cisco.com nameserver ns.orange.sk

threshold 2500

rtr reaction-configuration 1 threshold-type immediate action-type trapOnly

It will generate a trap after the 2500ms if the DNS doesn't answer.

I haven't tried it ! Don't forget that your router must be able to resolve the names to a nameserver, SNMP trap receiver, maybe something more ....?

Hope this will help you little bit more ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: