cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

running CV 5.4 for Cat-2950

axfalk
Level 1
Level 1

When running CV 5.4 on a Cat-2950, after going to "config" and launching the ClusterManagement interface, we are unable to change the VLAN on a port - it's simply greyed out. Does anybody know why?

thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

what is the port Adminstrative Mode shown by the Modify Port Mode dialogue box?

If it is the default one "Trunk Desirable", you are not able to change the port VLAN assignment.

You have to change the Administrative Mode to "Static Access" first.

This is a specific feature of Cat2950 and 3550 - the defult port status is trunk desirable by default (it was auto on the previous platforms - Cat2900XL, 3500XL, 4000s).

Regards,

Milan

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

what is the port Adminstrative Mode shown by the Modify Port Mode dialogue box?

If it is the default one "Trunk Desirable", you are not able to change the port VLAN assignment.

You have to change the Administrative Mode to "Static Access" first.

This is a specific feature of Cat2950 and 3550 - the defult port status is trunk desirable by default (it was auto on the previous platforms - Cat2900XL, 3500XL, 4000s).

Regards,

Milan

Thanks for your response. The port is in fact defaults to "Trunk Desirable", however I have no problem changing the VLAN on that port through the CLI. What gives?

Thanks again.

To be honest, I'm not using ClusterManagement for configuration at all.

I prefer CLI.

Regards,

Milan

Granted, however if a port defaults to "Trunk Desirable", shouldn't you not be able to change VLAN on that port through either CLI or Cluster Management unless you change the Admin mode on that port to Static first?

Thanks.

IMHO, you SHOULD be able to change VLAN on the port through either CLI or Cluster Management any time. Assigning port to a VLAN defines which VLAN the port belongs to in the case it doesn't trunk for any reason. My opinion is it has nothing to do with the fact the port is trunk desirable, auto, etc. You should still have the possibility to define the VLAN.

I consider the CMS behaivour not to be a feature, but a bug.

Regards,

Milan