cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Running IOS on Cat 4000 Supervisor Engine I

chrislisser
Level 1
Level 1

I managed a couple of Cat 4000 series switches running WS-X4012 Supervisor Engine I. They run CatOS which I despise. Is the Supervisor Engine I capable of running IOS. If so how would I go about making the conversion?

thanks,

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paramvsi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Chris,

You are right in saying that you have only worked on Cat4000 with Sup 1 (WS-X4012) with CatOS. The switch Cat4000 with Supervisors Sup1 (WS-X4012) and Sup 2(WS-X4013) can only support CatOS. They do not have a support for the IOS software hance there is an add-on blade that needs to be inserted for the routing on the chassis, i.e. 4232-L3 blade.

Hence Sup1 or Sup2 does not has support for IOS. Sup 2+, 3, 4 and 5 do have support for IOS only. There is no conversion procedures for this reason on Cat4000. The running of Native and Hybrid mode is only possible in the case to Cat6000 switch supervisors.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Param

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

paramvsi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Chris,

You are right in saying that you have only worked on Cat4000 with Sup 1 (WS-X4012) with CatOS. The switch Cat4000 with Supervisors Sup1 (WS-X4012) and Sup 2(WS-X4013) can only support CatOS. They do not have a support for the IOS software hance there is an add-on blade that needs to be inserted for the routing on the chassis, i.e. 4232-L3 blade.

Hence Sup1 or Sup2 does not has support for IOS. Sup 2+, 3, 4 and 5 do have support for IOS only. There is no conversion procedures for this reason on Cat4000. The running of Native and Hybrid mode is only possible in the case to Cat6000 switch supervisors.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Param

ilya.varlashkin
Level 3
Level 3

Indeed there's no IOS for Sup I on Cat4k, but I guess it's because they're really old and EOL/EOS, and not because they can't do routing. Cat2950 (WS-C2950G-48-EI) does not support routing, but it runs IOS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: