Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Saving configs without a battery!!!

4 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Saving configs without a battery!!!

You can save your config to flash, if you have room and it is not read-only: "copy run flash".

An alternative is to copy it to a tftp server with the command "copy run tftp". Of course you'll need a tftp server but that shouldn't be too hard to find.

hth

Herbert

Herbert ,

many thanks for that.

I see you understood what i meant even though i posted before i have completed the message box !!!

I have tried copy run flash and then reloaded and i can see my file when i issue the show flash command.

My question is therefore how do i make sure that i dont overwrite my ios in the flash and how to i set the machine to load the config out of the flash ?

many thanks to you all,,,

Bronze

The IOS on the flash will only be overwritten if you answer yes when the copy command asks you if you want to erase the flash before copying, or if you give your file the same filename.

I don't think there is a way to automatically load the config from flash on bootup, I'm afraid.

The only solution I see is to have some kind of monitoring application (CiscoWorks?) that pushes a new config after a (re)boot.

hth

Herbert

You can point your config on the tftp server as startup config in your startup configuration:

boot network:tftp://server/configname.txt

or

boot host :[[[//[username[:password]@]location]/directory]/filename]

By using your flash for both, the configuration and the IOS, you remove the impartition to avoid a big problem when a flash memory crashes. The regular configuration will be in the NVRAM. May be, it would be a good idea to consider the option of the FTP or TFTP server.

Views
Helpful
Replies