cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

screwed up on a new config, 2821 router

screwed up setting a new 2821.

I copied over the config from the 2691 we are currently running, changed the interface names.

problem now is I cant log in to my 2821 to perform additional changes, my passwords dont seem to work.

-how can i clear the config

-how can i get around this password problem when importing my other config file

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: screwed up on a new config, 2821 router

Hi Friend,

You need to get into the router first and then you can clear the configs but to get into the router you need to do the pass recovery if you don't remember the passwords

Check the link for password recovery

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_password_recovery09186a0080094675.shtml#ex_pass

HTH

Ankur

No big deal. Use the password recovery procedure:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_password_recovery09186a0080094675.shtml

then re-enter your passwords.

Regards,

Leo

Use the password recovery procedure that others have told you about. To prevent this in the future, you have two options:

1. When you copy the configuration from one router to another, do not copy the usernames and passwords.

2. Before you copy the configuration from the original device, enter the command no service password-encryption (while in configuration mode). This command will show the actual password in the configuration not the encrypted string.

Hi,

I've gone back into my original router, and issued from enable mode:

no service password-encryption

i've then tftp'ed my config over the my box and looked at it.

im still seeing enable secret and enable password with a string next to it.

is this normal? did i do this properly?

Hi there,

Yes you will still see the enable secret with a string next to it when you've entered "no service password-encryption".

This is because the enable secret is an MD5 hash, rather than a scrabled password like the others.

However, you should see the enable password which is a normal scrambled password. But not to worry too much - if you've got an enable secret - it will take priority over your enable password as it's more secure.

Hope that helps,

LH

Please rate all posts

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content