Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

SDM Size errors in 2948G-L3 switch

A while back, I was using the 2948G-L3 as a layer 3 distribution switch for my network. Connected to the switch were some DNS servers and Web servers. After a while of operation, the switch would lock up and stop processing traffic. The console output showed this error:

%LSS-1-SDM: IP Adjacency, Region reached limit Cannot accept more entries

We decided to stop using the switch for layer 3 and only used it for layer 2 and have been until now. Now, I would like to re-introduce it into our Layer 3 backbone, but am still concerned about this problem. I have upgraded the IOS to 120-25.W5-27, but I'm still seeing mention of this problem in the release notes for this new release about sdm size problems. Here's an excerpt:

• When you use the sdm size command in an attempt to add more IP multicast routes than the size previously configured, the following error message is displayed.

For example, if the number of IP multicast routes added to SDM exceeds the size configured with the sdm size command, the following error message is displayed:

%LSS-1-SDM: IP Multicast, Region reached limit Cannot accept more entries

Explanation: Cannot accept more routes in SDM.

Recommended Action: To rectify this situation, increase the protocol size using the sdm size configuration command and reload the switch router.

My question is, has anyone experienced the same problem, and is this message just informational, or is it saying that no more entries can be added to the SDM for that region? Last time this happened, I increased the SDM size, but it still filled up and was potentially the reason the switch would lock up.

Also, if this is still a problem with the TCAM and SDM, is there a way to turn off this functionality, or will that essentially render the device incapable of processing traffic effectively?

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: SDM Size errors in 2948G-L3 switch

You must re-optimize the SDM size if required based on the features that you use. I guess you must reduce your L2 Switching regions size.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/42.html#sdm_examples

Check this document to find out how to tune these values.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.