Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondary address and print problems

We have the following situation at a remote site:

Router is 10.10.10.1/24, 10.10.9.1/24

users are on 10.10.10.x

other users on 10.10.9.x

printer is on 10.10.9.x

There are three 3Com switches uplinking everyone together.

Very simple

The users on the 10.10.9.x network that are on the same subnet as the printer can print fine.

The users on the 10.10.10.x subnet, printing is very slow, the users get a error on their desktop in the print queue.

The printer light is flashing, when you hit the Go button, the print prints garbled weird characters.

If you change the users to the subnet the printer is on, everything prints fine.

This site is in another state, so it is hard to see the problem in action, but I installed the printer from my machine and everything printed fine from tcp/ip

6 REPLIES

Re: Secondary address and print problems

Can the users on 10.10.10.x ping the printer?

Does it have a default-route? and correct subnet mask?

let us know,

vlad

Yes, they can ping the printer, I had someone there telnet into the printer on port 9100, type something and close the session.

It printed that with no peoblem.

So, communication between the two subnets is fine.

Well, if communication from users on 10.10.9.x to the printer is working fine (via ping and telnet) I guess this is a software issue, not a network issue.

Maybe a sniffer will help you identify if the correct packets are indeed being sourced and destinated to the printer.

Vlad

According to the tech there, all he does is change the IP Address on the workstation to the same subnet the printer is on, and it prints fine.

Ive dealt with many printer issues here.

Everytime was a configuration issue on the printer (network configs)

Do you know how is the communication between the host and the printer done? (unicast TCP, broadcast?).

Because unless you are doing broadcast to reach the printer and you have an ACL blocking traffic between secondary and primary IP. You should be looking for other causes not network causes.

Vlad

Communication is TCP.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content