Views
Helpful
Replies

Secondary address: Can't ping hosts on the desired subnet unless primary

gbrin
Level 1
Level 1

Let me rephrase:

I am planning to migrate to a new ip scheme. I have this subnet bound to the primary ip of the ethernet interface. My existing LAN (10.8.24.0/24) is now bound as the secondary to 10.8.24.3/24. With this configuration, I cannot ping 10.8.24.1 (a local isdn router) from a telnet session with 10.8.24.3 (the secondary ethernet interface). If I reverse things, making 24.1 the primary, I can ping the host, but at that point, the secondary (192.168.1.1) still cannot get to the host. Hmmm.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance - this is my first time on the boards.

Greg

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Make sure, that you first advertise your secondary subnet into the routing protocol that you are using between routers. So that the isdn local router will know...how to get back to this router. Or atleast configure a static route on local isdn router to this subnet.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Again, I'm making the existing subnet the secondary - the isdn router should already know how to reach it as they are part of the same network and broadcast domain (assuming that a secondary IP is truly "on the network" in the same way as the primary. The ISDN modem and the 2620 are connected via a hub, so my inclination is to believe that if I can, from a local host, ping both 10.8.24.1 (the isdn modem) and 10.8.24.3 (the 2620 ethernet interface - bound as the secondary on the interface), then I should be able to ping the isdn modem from within the 2620. But I cannot , even through a telnet session to the secondary interface. I can't get out!

aadeoba
Level 1
Level 1

If I correctly understand what you are trying to do which is you want to ping an address using the secondary IP of the interface? Have you tried doing an extended ping on the router? From the client, add static route to the network via the secondary address. See if this will work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: