Views
Helpful
Replies

Secondary IP Addresses in 12.1(2)T Release

vgarciab
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to configure secondary IP addresses on a fastethernet interface of a 3620 router.

First, my router had the IP only 12.12(5)d IOS release, I configured them and everything was fine. The addresses worked properly.

Then I load the IP/FW/IDS 12.1(2)T release and when I boot the router the secondary IP addresses were deleted. There was a message after the boot: "Secondary addresses not allowed with negotiated addresses".

I reconfigured the addresses, copied the configuration to startup config and also it was fine. But when I power off and then up the router the addresses were lost again.

I would like to know why it is happening. I think that this release has enabled some option that conflicts with the secondary addresses because I do not consider that the only solution is to reconfigure the router every time I reload the router or power off. Perhaps there is another way to configure secondary ip addresses.

Thank you.

2 Replies 2

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

It sounds like the routeris trying to use dhcp to get an address on the interface--I'm not certain why this would be the default, though.

Russ

Please have a look at CSCdt48384. There's a bug in 12.1(2)T, that deletes the secondary IP addresses upon reload. Fixed in 12.1(5)T.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: