Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Secondary IP Addresses

I added a secondary IP address to an interface and I cannot ping any hosts on that subnet unless I use extended ping commands and ping from the secondary IP addresses as the source. Why would that be?

3 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: Secondary IP Addresses

Hello,

I understand you are pinging from the router ? This is the default behaviour of the ´normal´ ping, the source interface is the primary address of the interface nearest to the source...

So, in your case, in order to successfully ping host on the secondary subnet, the extended ping specifying the source is necessary.

HTH,

GP

Hi GP,

Thanks for the quick reply. The problem is I cannot ping that subnet from any other host on the other subnets. When I run a "show ip route" the subnet I am looking for is directly connected as are the other subnets I am trying to ping from. I.e:

int vlan1

ip address 205.205.X.X 255.255.255.0

ip address 209.115.X.X 255.255.255.0 secondary

ip address 10.0.5.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

I use the 10.0.5.1/24 subnet to access equipment that don't need public IP addresses. Shouldn't I be able to ping from a host on the 205.206.x.x network and be able to reach the 10.0.5.x network since they are both directly connected?

Any light you can shed would be greatly appreciated.

VIP Purple

Hello,

it should work as you said...stupid question maybe, but what is the default gateway on the hosts connected to the secondary subnet ?

Also, what platform and IOS version are you running ?

Regards,

GP

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content