cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

secondary ip

siribat
Level 1
Level 1

I have problems with my 7500 ethernet,secondary ip is configured on this ethernet .the problem is whenever this router loses power it also lose the secondary ip and when the power is restored I have to reconfigure secondary ip everytime

is there any other way I can use to keep this secondary ip so that it doesn't get lost when the router goes off

thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What IOS are you running on your router? Take a look at the following DDTS

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCdr51651

thanks

we are running ios 12.1(2)T

I did go to the url u gave me but is showing there is no workaround on this version I just have to always reconfigure the sec ip unless if you know of something else

thank you

No real workaround other than upgrading the IOS to fix this bug

fanda10
Level 1
Level 1

when shpuld i need a secondary ip? thanks

secondary ip can be used to support a second or third (theoritically N) subnets on the same segment. Such scenarios appear, when u need to assign a public IP (which u get only a few in number from ISPs) to the lan segment, and also for the hosts in the lan segment, you will be using a private addressing scheme...say from the 10.x.x.x network...

Another scenario where u may need secondary network addr., is when u run out of ip addresses, on the lan segment, say u assign, 10.1.1.0/24 to your lan, and now u have more than 254 hosts..on the same lan..u can assign a second subnet 10.1.2.0/24 as secondary, on the same lan segment.

router will route between the subnets.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: